One of the main causes of colon cancer is the food we eat. Certain substances found in food are carcinogenic. heterocyclic amines are one such compound found in meat, poultry and fish when cooked at high temperatures using methods such as roasting, frying or grilling. Another carcinogen called polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons are formed when food is cooked or smoked open fire. Avoid or minimize exposure to carcinogenic foods can help prevent or control colon cancer. You need to have a proper nutritious diet to prevent and combat colorectal cancer.
Diet for patients with colon cancer
Colon cancer affects the body’s ability to digest food and absorb nutrients present in them. This can lead to severe malnutrition of the person over time. This will make the person feel weak and affects the person’s ability to tolerate the treatment of colon cancer. The diet for colon cancer patients should be able to make the patient to tolerate the treatment, prevention of malnutrition and improve the quality of life of the patient. Diet colon cancer should be according to the symptoms and according to what the person feel comfortable.
- include more caffeine and soft drinks in the diet
- Avoid using nuts, seeds, fruits and raw vegetables, with skin, as it will be difficult to digest.
- Try to eat not spicy or bland food like chicken baked or boiled, cookies, etc.
- If the patient is experiencing constipation drink plenty of fluids, such as prune juice and a small amount of caffeine drink and eat high-fiber foods like oatmeal, fruits and raw vegetables.
- If the patient has diarrhea drink clear liquids and should eat low-fat foods and low in fiber. Foods with strong spices and caffeine should be avoided.
- To prevent inflammation, the patient should take a diet lacking in cruciferous foods such as broccoli, cabbage, egg; garlic, onions, etc. Avoid foods containing fructose and sorbitol.
- eat soft and creamy foods soaked in sauces or sauces that are easy to digest.
The patient must constantly try new foods like the taste keeps changing with different types of treatments. When repairs of the gastrointestinal tract tissues and replaces lost the food was very bad can one day taste good after a few days.
Diet for Cancer Survivor
In colon cancer survivor foods take longer to digest and some food can alter bowel movements. The person may need to go to the bathroom frequently and if the person had a colostomy will take some months for the intestine to normal. In such cases, the survivor will have to avoid certain foods. Certain foods may cause gas formation in patients with colon cancer following treatment. The person will have to find out by trial and error which foods are appropriate and which are not suitable. You need to add more food fight against cancer in the diet.
- Include fruits like apples, bananas, melons and berries
- include vegetables like green leafy vegetables, carrots, asparagus
- Avoid soft drinks and alcoholic beverages
- Avoid foods high in fat
- Avoid onions, cabbage and Brussels sprouts
- Eat foods low in calories
- more whole grains Eat like breads whole grain, pasta, cereal products, etc
- eat fish rich in omega-3 fatty acids
- Use olive oil or vegetable oil for cooking
- Consume 6- 8 glasses of water a day.
diet for the treatment of colon cancer
Colon cancer treatment cause many side effects in patients, such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, etc and make the person you feel sick. Patients should avoid certain foods when under treatment for colon cancer.
- limit the use of foods high in saturated fat and sodium, such as fried foods, red meat, dairy products, packaged, processed and canned
- To alleviate nausea problem eating small frequent meals at room temperature.
- If the patient has altered taste, as a result of chemotherapy eating foods that are bitter or sour like lemonade. Use spices, herbs and marinades to flavor food.
- include whole grain breads, fruits, no vegetables and cereals skin.
- Reduce consumption of sugar, alcohol and salt
- Include moderate amount of meat and dairy products if the patient is comfortable with it.
- include more protein in their diet as milk, cheese or boiled eggs.
- Avoid foods high in fiber, if the patient has diarrhea as a side effect of treatment.
- If the patient does not feel like eating instead of solid food with a liquid food. Drink plenty of water, even if they are not able to eat. Try to have juices, soups, which provide the patient with nutrients and calories.
Diet for preventing colon cancer
healthy eating can help prevent colon cancer to some extent. It is better to have foods derived from plant sources and one must reduce consumption of animal fats. daily diet should contain some of the items listed below to reduce the risk of colon cancer.
- Vegetable – These are one of the best ways to reduce the risk of colon cancer because they contain fiber, folic acid, vitamins, etc. the important vegetables in the diet are green leafy vegetables; brassicas including cabbage, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower. Allium group of vegetables such as garlic, onion, onion, etc soy products, tomatoes and carrots are also effective in the fight against cancer.
- Fruits – Include five servings of fruits in your daily diet to prevent cancer. Eating whole fruits to get benefited from it. The fruits that are able to prevent cancer include apples, cranberries, blueberries, grapes, etc.
- Green Tea -. Studies have found that regular consumption of green tea reduces the risk of colorectal cancer by 50%
- whole grains and legumes -. Whole grains are an excellent source of fiber and vitamin B. The phytic acid present in these foods reduces the risk of colon cancer
- Fish – Fish consumption is protective effect on the colon cancer. This is due to the presence of omega-3 fatty acid. Eating cold-water fish such as salmon, herring, mackerel, cod, etc.
- Olive – Animal fats and certain vegetable oils increases the risk of colon cancer. Monounsaturated fats found in olive oil have a protective effect when consumed in the right quantities. Phenols in virgin olive oil inhibit the formation of cancer cells in the colon.
- peanuts -. Nutrients in peanuts have anti-cancer
- turmeric – Turmeric contains curcumin, which has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory action. Reduces cell proliferation of mutated cells in tumors.
- Ginger -. Ginger has an active component called gingerol that inhibit cell growth of colon cancer
- Yogurt – We found that yogurt and other fermented milk products reduce the chances of colon cancer. Beneficial bacteria present in fermented foods protect colon cells from the effects of carcinogens.
is necessary to consume a moderate amount of foods that provide the right amount of calories to maintain life free of cancer. You need to add a moderate amount of exercise lifestyle to prevent colon cancer or any other cancer.
Diet for colon cancer recovery
Diet plays an important role in recovery management role colon cancer. No specific to control or treat colon cancer foods, but it is necessary to have a diet that aid digestion and provide the necessary nutrition to the person to facilitate recovery. Foods that are not healthy for normal people are really useful for people recovering from colon cancer. The diet for the recovery of colon cancer should include
- The high-calorie foods
- Protein-rich like cream food, milk, cheese and eggs
- low fiber foods to aid digestion and reduce diarrhea
- cooked in oil, margarine or butter food
- lots of sauces and salsas
- drink water mint to reduce flatulence
- drink plenty of fluids
Diet for colon cancer after surgery
During a cancer surgery colon in a part of the large intestine will be removed and therefore will not be solid stool. The patient may have diarrhea. The doctor can provide medicine to control diarrhea. However, you need to replenish nutrients through diet.
- Drink plenty of fluids if you have diarrhea.
- Eat foods high in calories and protein after surgery to aid healing and to combat all foods chances of infection. The diet should contain meat, fish and eggs.
- To begin with, have small, frequent meals instead of 3 large meals. Avoid long gaps between meals.
- Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day
- start eating a diet low in fiber after surgery such as white pasta, bread, crackers, vegetables and cooked and peeled fruits.
- Avoid drinking caffeinated beverages if the person is having diarrhea.
- Taking watermint to reduce any trapped wind and discomfort.
- Take juices without pulp or fiber.
- Use low-fat dairy products
- Include tender, skinless chicken and turkey, fish and lean meat cut. Avoid fried foods rich in fat.
The individual dietary needs vary from person to person. Better to try and find different foods that are suitable and convenient to your gut and taste buds. You can consult a dietitian if you want to get proper guidance to the diet of patients with colon cancer. You need to be physically active and maintain a healthy weight, once recovered from colon cancer. Eating a diet that will prevent the recurrence of colon cancer.
This article was originally published on myhealthtips
Posted in: Colon Cancer, Diet plan, foods