At least 5 killed in Guinea Ebola flare-ups: health officials ;
Ebola has killed five people probably in Guinea after re-emerging in southern country, health officials said Tuesday as Liberia announced that it was closing their common border to prevent the spread of the virus.
“Since the recurrence of the disease, there have been five deaths, two confirmed and three probable” said Fode Sylla Tass, spokesman for the Ebola response unit of Guinea.
Hours later, Liberian Information Minister said his northern border with Guinea was closed “as a precaution due to the new outbreak of Ebola,” with all new cases registered near the territory of Liberia.
Guinea was declared free of transmission of Ebola at the end of last year, although it is believed that a significant number of deaths were not reported and “flares” in relation to the persistence of the virus in the bodies of survivors pose continuing challenges.
The three probable deaths were people who were buried before they could be tested, Sylla said, adding that 961 people may have been in contact with victims and undergo a follow-up now.
Ebola was suspected in the case of a couple who died in the rural village of southern Koropara, the wife in late February and early March husband, authorities had said last week.
This was followed by the death of a second wife the same man and an eight-year-old, believed to be his daughter. The young man died in an Ebola treatment center after health officials were alerted to the presence of the disease.
In addition, a man who tested positive for Ebola in the city of Bissau Bissau died on Monday, Sylla said.
The Alliance for International Medical Action, which reopened its clinic Ebola in southern Guinea on Friday to discuss the eight-year-old told AFP that is still caring for her mother believed to be the third Koropara man’s wife who has also tested positive for the virus.
On Thursday, the World Health Organization (WHO) was already warning that a recurrence of Ebola-which has claimed 11,300 lives since December 2013-remained a possibility in the three most affected countries of Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia .
An investigation of the hundreds of people who may have acquired the disease through contact with victims of Ebola was underway, Sylla added, focusing on “who came to burials (victims), who paid them visits, which washed the bodies. “
WHO Friday that health authorities had alerted Guinea symptoms of Ebola in the village family on March 16, the same day declared a similar outbreak on in Sierra Leone.
The village is in the same region where the first case of Ebola the current outbreak was recorded in December 2013.
This article was originally published on medicalxpress, Read the original article
Posted in: Diseases