Dark circles can be quite uncomfortable. Not only can they make you look tired, but they can also make you look older than you are. It is not surprising that dark circles are one of the most feared side effects due to overwork or lack of sleep. Dark circles are common in the elderly, but there are also some who have a genetic predisposition to this condition. Allergies, excessive tiredness, eye strain, sun exposure and dehydration are common causes of dark circles.
But don't worry, as there are simple but effective home remedies that can help you get rid of dark circles in a flash. Read below to meet them all!
1. Cold compress: Cold compresses can help reduce swelling and reduce dilated blood vessels. Applying a cold compress may also be useful to reduce the swelling caused by dark circles. All you need to do is wrap the ice cubes in a washed cloth and rub it around the eyes. If the cold compress makes you feel uncomfortable, you can simply wash a cotton cloth or a handkerchief with cold water and apply it under the eyes. You can try this for a few minutes every day for effective results.
Also read: Skin care: tips and tricks to try for healthy and shiny skin
2. Soaked tea bags: This is another effective home remedy for dark circles. The caffeine and other antioxidants in tea can stimulate blood circulation and reduce fluid retention in the skin. You can soak two bags of black or green tea in hot water for 5 minutes, then cool them in the refrigerator for 15 to 20 minutes. Once cold, apply it under the eyes for 15 to 20 minutes for effective results.
3. Sleep well: A good night's sleep is crucial not only to prevent and treat dark circles, but also for good overall health. Lack of sleep can lead to hormonal imbalance, high blood pressure, increased stress and even weight gain. Try to sleep 8 hours every day to naturally reduce dark circles.
Sleep well to reduce dark circles naturally
Photo credit: iStock
4. Cucumbers: Cucumbers are naturally refreshing and moisturizing in nature. They can improve blood circulation in the area under the eyes and reduce dark circles. Take two slices of cucumber and place them on the eyelids. Let stand 15 to 20 minutes. Wash with water. Repeat this every day for effective results.
Also read: Healthy skin, hair, digestion and immunity: Luke Coutinho suggests a simple morning ritual for all these
5. Rose water: Before trying rose water to reduce dark circles, be sure to do a patch test to see if it fits your skin. Apply rose water with a cotton ball under the eyes to reduce dark circles naturally.
6. Cold milk: The lactic acid in milk can be beneficial in reducing fine lines and wrinkles, and even dark circles. Dab cotton ball soaked in milk under the eyes. Do it for 15 minutes. Repeat two or three times in a week for effective results.
7. Sleep with your head elevated: Along with lack of sleep, your sleep pattern can also be a determining factor for dark circles. Use some additional pillows under your head when you sleep. It will prevent the fluid from accumulating under the eyes, thus preventing swelling and swelling.
8. Aloe Vera gel: Aloe Vera gel works like magic for almost all skin problems. If you find it relaxing and it works perfectly well for your skin type, apply aloe vera gel under the eyes and leave it overnight. It can be effective to naturally reduce dark circles.
Aloe Vera gel can be an effective home remedy for dark circles
Photo credit: iStock
Also read: Vaseline: 9 magic ways you can help your skin and hair
9. Tomatoes: Tomatoes contain bleaching properties that can be effective in lightening the skin. Lycopene-rich tomatoes may be good for your skin. Apply some tomato juice under the eyes for 10 minutes and rinse with cold water. Repeat two or three times a week to reduce dark circles naturally.
10. Mint leaves: Peppermint is known for its cooling effect. It can help soothe tired skin and reduce dark circles. Crush some mint leaves and apply them in dark circles. Rinse with cold water. Repeat several times in a week to reduce dark circles naturally.
Disclaimer: This content, including advice, only provides generic information. In no way substitutes qualified medical opinion. Always consult a specialist or your own doctor for more information. NDTV is not responsible for this information.
Get breaking news, live coverage and the latest news from India and around the world on NDTV.com. Watch all the live TV action on NDTV 24×7 and NDTV India. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram to get the latest news and live news updates.
Posted in: Health, Home remedies, Remedies | Tags: circles, dark, dark circles, dark circles cause, dark circles simple home remedies, home, home remedies for dark circles, how to get rid of dark circles forever, how to treat dark circles naturally, remedies, work